Thursday, February 24, 2011

DUH!

Have you ever had a DUH moment?  You know, one of those times where someone has to tell you something so basic, because you didn't get it?  I've had a few situations this week where I just wanted to curl up and hide because I missed something so obvious, it should have smacked me in the head.

Last week I reported that I was reading through Psalms and Proverbs and how difficult I found it to read through so quickly.  Well, they had nothing on Isaiah.  I confess, I'm reading Isaiah just to read it, but I know that I'm missing a lot.  I told my kids last night that I am looking forward to getting a good study guide and reading through Isaiah again.  If you have any suggestions on a guide to use, please leave me a comment with the name of the guide.

Again, like last week, God has chosen a few verses to speak to me.  I am so very thankful that through the Holy Spirit, I am still able to be blessed in my reading of the Bible in 90 Days.  I read the following verse last night and just started laughing.  I happened to be in bed with my hubby and read the verse to him and he started laughing too.  It was a total "DUH!" moment.

For thus says the LORD,who created the heaven,
(he is God!),
who formed the earth and made it
(he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!):
"I am the LORD, and there is no other.
"
Isaiah 45:18

I did not add the parenthesis, they are in the ESV Bible.  Seeing those words in the parenthesis made me laugh.  I mean a true, LOL (laugh out loud).  Read it again, but this time add a DUH at the end of each parenthesis, go ahead, I'll wait.

"...remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other;
   I am God, and there is none like me..."
Isaiah 46:9

The Israelites had to be reminded repeatedly that God is God.  In these passages God is speaking through the prophet Isaiah telling them, God is God, the only God!  DUH!  I just have to laugh, because I'm not the only one who needs a slap in the face every now and then.  In fact, in 9 verses God says "I am God" in the Old Testament.  "I am the Lord" is written in 184 verses in the Old Testament.  Really?  God needed to establish Himself 193 times?  Wait, no He didn't.  God is God and it's us who needs the reminder.  Even I have to be reminded every now and then.  Do I doubt that God is God, no, but sometimes even I need a reminder that He is the center of my life. 

Picture from Stupid Fat Hobbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment