Thursday, October 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Hunter's Chicken

Yesterday was wonderful.  It was day 2 of my October Unprocessed challenge and I'm feeling good.  Still missing my afternoon coffee, I think my sugar withdraw is contributing to mild headaches in the afternoons, but I'm sure they'll pass after a few days.


For dinner last night we had Slow Cooker Hunter's Chicken from the Make Ahead Paleo cookbook.  This was one meal that I did not have to adjust at all.  It was a simple meal that I was able to throw into the crock pot to be ready after my crazy Wednesday night schedule.

For this I threw some chicken in the bottom of the crock and sprinkled some sea salt and pepper on.  The I chopped some tomatoes, minced some garlic, chopped a shallot, and threw that all on with some sliced mushrooms, and some fresh herbs.  I dumped in 2 cups of chicken broth and *gasp* 1/2 a cup of white wine.  I gave it a little mix, turned the crock pot on, and walked away.


Verdict: This smelled wonderful.  The wine cooked out and I couldn't taste it, which is good because I do not like meals that taste like alcohol.  The chicken literally kept falling apart it was so tender (this was the only piece that didn't fall apart so it won the picture contest.)  The mushrooms and tomatoes cooked perfectly and the blend of flavors was very appealing.  Everyone loved it, with the exception of #3 who did not eat her mushrooms, but ate everything else.  This will definitely be a repeat meal.

Slow Cooker Hunter’s Chicken
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
4-5 lbs chicken, whole or cut up
Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (about an 8 oz package)
1 shallot, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup white wine
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used 5 romas)
1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon (or ½ tsp dried)
1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Season the chicken with sea salt and pepper and place it in a slow cooker.
2. Add the mushrooms, shallot, garlic, white wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, tarragon, and parsley to the slow cooker.
3. Cook the chicken on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
4. Serve with additional chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment