Monday, October 14, 2013

Paleo Granola


I have missed having cereal.  My kids really miss having cereal for breakfast.  I don't just miss cereal, I miss having something to munch on every now and then.  I've got fruit I can grab, which is great, but I want something crunchy to munch on.  I think I found the recipe.

This homemade granola was super easy to make.  Almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins, honey, vanilla, and almond oil.  The original recipe from Paleo Cupboard called for coconut oil and coconut flakes, but of course, I adapted.

Unfortunately, I adapted poorly this first time.  I added the same amount of almond oil rather than reducing the amount due to the lack of coconut flakes and the difference in consistency between the almond oil and coconut oil. Don't get me wrong, this recipe wasn't bad.  Just the opposite, it was super delicious!  It was just rather sticky and didn't make for hard granola pieces that we could eat.  It was a sticky mess, but such a good tasting sticky mess!


When it was done cooling off it took no time at all for me to grab a bowl and have some cereal.  Who cared that it was 9:30 at night, I was eating some cereal!  My hubby had a spoonful of the dry granola and his face literally lit up and he said it was really, really good!  I ate my bowl of granola with some almond milk and it was amazing.


Verdict: This was super easy and super delicious!  The granola was gone before I could even finish typing this blog post.  I'm going to make another batch this afternoon but I'll cut the honey and almond oil down in hopes that it won't be as sticky.  Either way, this is a tasty snack/breakfast/treat!

**UPDATE
I made this again and used 3 TBSP almond oil and 1/3 cup honey.  While it wasn't as sweet as the first time I made it, it held together perfectly, just as granola should.  Next time I'll play with it again, possibly adding the honey back in and lowering the almond oil down in order to keep the sweet flavor.

PALEO GRANOLA
Serves 6

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw cashews
¼ cup raw pepitas/pumpkin seeds
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds (no shells)
¼ cup almond oil **I WILL BE USING LESS NEXT TIME, LOOK FOR MY UPDATE**
½ cup raw honey **I WILL BE USING LESS NEXT TIME, LOOK FOR MY UPDATE**
1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup raisins (or your favorite dried fruit)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  Place the almonds and cashews in a food processor or blender and pulse a few times to break into smaller chunks. 
2. Microwave the almond oil, raw honey, and vanilla extract together in a medium sized mixing bowl for about 30 seconds.  Add the seeds and nuts and stir to coat.
3. Spread the granola mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Stir it once or twice. 
4. Remove from heat and add the raisins and sprinkle with sea salt, pressing the mixture together to form a flat surface.
5. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes or until hardened, and then break into chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment