Monday, September 16, 2013

What to Drink?

I was asked tonight about what I drink.  I admit, I don't drink nearly enough water.  I mainly drink hot tea but my hot tea intake has decreased since starting this diet.  Why?  Because I'm not thrilled with the almond milk in my tea.  More on that in a bit.  I drink a cup of hot tea when I wake up and take my meds, a cup of hot tea before bed, an occasional cup of hot coffee in the afternoon, and water sporadically.  In the summer I'll have a glass of iced tea with my dinner, but maybe 2-3 times a week.

I was reading tonight about coffee being Paleo and yes, it surely is.  You want to know the details about it, go here.  What makes coffee not Paleo friendly is all the junk we put in it.  Once you add white refined sugar, it's no longer Paleo.  If it is flavored coffee, has bad creamer, whatever, you've sunk the Paleo ship.  So yeah, I'm guilty.  Need to work on that one.

For my hot tea, so far everything I have found has said it is Paleo friendly.  Yay!  However, again, what you put in it makes it not Paleo friendly.  I've switched out my 2% milk for almond milk but I haven't switched out my refined white sugar yet.  I need to do that.  But like other things in the house, I need to get rid of it because I just don't want to throw away money/food.

I'm drinking less hot tea because I personally haven't found a type of almond milk that I really like.  I am a creature of habit and hot tea is one thing I just don't mess with.  I have tried Silk original and Blue Diamond original.  Today several people suggested I try both their vanilla unsweetened flavors, and I'm going to try them.  Thankfully my kids have had no problems with either brands of almond milk and I hope to keep it that way.  But if we have to buy me one flavor and them another, well, that's no different than our old milk situation: I was drinking 2% while they were drinking whole.

As for my water intake, well, that could be way better.  I don't drink nearly enough.  I've never liked plain water, and I don't like it cold at all.  I'm also really picky and don't like how my tap water tastes and there are few bottled waters that I like.  I can tolerate the water from my refrigerator, but it's cold, so it's a no-go for me. I know, I'm way too picky.  I grew up on well water and it was super tasty, I don't think I'll ever drink water that tastes that good again.  As for not liking plain water?  I can't just add flavor packets or go squirt some flavor in.  Have you looked at what's in those packets?  Not exactly Paleo friendly.  Check the sugars, check the carbs.  Not happening.

So where does that leave me?  It leaves me with the decision to make better choices.  I need to just suck it up and drink more water.  I need to change my sugar intake and figure out what I should be using.  Here is a good site that breaks down different sweeteners.

If I find a sweetener that I like, I'll be sure to post on here.  If you have a Paleo friendly sweetener that you prefer, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment