Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week 1 Wrap Up

I've completed week one of my Bible in 90 Days reading.  I've read through Genesis and Exodus.  There was a lot in there that I had never read before.  I had no idea the elaborate detail that went into the Tabernacle that Moses erected for the Lord, or in the garments that Aaron and his sons wore.  It makes sense to have them so elaborate, wouldn't any gift I give to the Lord be like that?

After I finished reading today, I spent some time thinking about what gifts I give the Lord.  I tithe, I serve at His church, I honor Him in the way I follow His commandments.  Those are all well and good, but are my gifts elaborate?  Do I honor Him in the way that only He deserves?  I don't think I do.

While constructing the tabernacle, the Israelites brought gifts of gold, silver, and bronze; fabrics in blue, purple, crimson and fine linen.  I don't exactly have those gifts to give the church, nor would my church have a use for them. 

And they received from Moses all the contribution that the people 
of Israel had brought for doing the work on the sanctuary. They still kept 
bringing him freewill offerings every morning.  Exodus 36:3

Here's the kicker.  The Israelites kept bringing gifts.  More and more gifts.  And they did it of their own freewill too!  Is that how I'm bringing my gifts to the Lord?  Do I go to church and pass out the Sunday school roll sheets with the heart of a servant who wants to serve the Lord with this gift?  Or do I pass it out with the mindset of, "they better fill these sheets out right this week"?  I think I know the answer to that question.

I don't have to have gold and crimson fabrics to give.  I do have me to give.  I have my attitude and my heart to give to the Lord and my service.  But I continually need to refocus my attitude and serve Him elaborately and with all my freewill. 

3 comments:

  1. good reminder to serve the Lord well in all we do.

    Many blessings,
    Amy @ Missional Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blog looks pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When God needs a special gift from us, He will always provide it in advance. The Israelites were slaves in Egypt, and didn't have silver or gold or fine cloth, but God provided it by preparing the Egyptians to give it to them when they left after the first Passover, and by telling the Israelites to request it from the Egyptians.

    ReplyDelete