Friday, October 24, 2008

Apple Pie Elizabeth Style

I'm not letting my gimpy thumb keep me down! Today I baked my first apple pie. Mmmmm! My house smells wonderful and my tummy agrees. I couldn't find a recipe that I really liked online, so I started using parts of one recipe and parts of another and came up with this one. I think I found a keeper!

Pie Crust
1 frozen one works just fine. Try a deep dish, that's what I'll use next time - I didn't this time and had apples left over.

Filling
7-8 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4" wedges
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 TBSP flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Quick Cooking Oats
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375. Line baking pan with aluminum foil. Place pie shell on cookie sheet, set aside.

In large bowl, mix filling ingredients except apples and lemon juice. Mix until combined, add apples and juice and mix again to coat. Pour into pie shell.

In medium bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and oats until combined. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add more flour if too wet. Add pecans and mix together. Pour mixture over top of pie crust.

Put pie into oven and cook 45-50 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes. If you used the aluminum foil, clean up will be a breeze.

When ready to serve, slightly heat 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping in microwave and drizzle over the top of pie. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Yummy!

This weekend at Today's Housewife is favorite fall recipes. Well, this is one recipe I'll make every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment