Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Survival or Obedience?

Tonight was the first night of VBS at my church. I have been planning and working for the last 6+ months getting ready for tonight. I was amazed to see 66 kids had preregistered and we had a total of 84 kids come tonight. I was unsure of how many kids and workers we would have and as director, I stress over the numbers. But there was one thing I had to keep reminding myself...

Whomever God wants to be at VBS this week will be there.

God wanted those 84 kids there. He wanted each of the 41 workers there. He wanted us to teach those kids through the music, games, craft, and lessons through the night. He wanted to be in control and me to let Him.

Letting God be in control is the hard part. The easy part was to sit back tonight and watch it happen. Basically, my job is over. Sure I have administrative work to do but that doesn't take too long. I get to spend my nights this week going around and giving small gifts to each teacher and worker. I get to walk around and watch the classes. I get to see the kids get excited over the songs and crafts, the games and lessons. I get to watch the teachers sit back and see the joy in the kids faces. I've done my best to prepare the church and workers for VBS but I was just the middle man. God is the one who prepared these teachers and I am thankful that He did.

I've been so worried that things wouldn't fall into place. I've been absent from the decorating of the church due to family commitments and so when I arrived Sunday morning to church and saw all the amazing decorations I about cried. I can't even begin to tell how awesome the whole church looks. God sure put a creative spark into our decorating committee and I hope they never stop using their talents. (God skipped that talent when He made me. But He did give me the admin qualities that I need for this role.)

Why have I been so worried for the last month? Why can't I remember this elated feeling when I'm preparing for something like this? I know I felt this way last year but I couldn't remember that. I just got worried and stressed and angry and and and... If I had only let God really be in control I would have saved so much heartache. Thankfully, I have the ability to learn from what I have done and hopefully I will learn from this.

Praise God for His blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment