Sunday, January 12, 2014

Lime-Cilantro Pork Tacos


Is there anything better than the smell of fresh chopped cilantro? Maybe fresh cilantro mixed with lime! This dinner was stacked to be full of flavor. Pork tenderloin cooked in palm oil, then sauteed with an onion, tomato, chicken stock mixture.

Tonight's adventure had a new ingredient in it. I found red palm oil in a local store and decided to give it a go in place of coconut oil. Well, that's all good and dandy, but it looks like I've found a new allergy. I am covered in hives. I've had minor reactions before to things with palm oil, but I just marked it up to being an item that was "packaged in a facility with tree nuts" or it also had coconut in it. Guess I was wrong. I have to say, I'm extremely bummed about this because I was looking for a substitute to coconut oil to use for frostings and in cooking, and now I have to keep looking. BOO!!!!


There was actually a lot more pork than what is shown in that picture. This is what was left after we all had taken our first serving. Only downfall was the butter lettuce. I recommend getting lettuce extremely fresh, don't let it start to wilt at all. Also, it needs to have BIG leaves. If not, you won't be able to use the lettuce as taco shells. We ended up making taco salads as you can see in the pics above and below.


Verdict: Ehhh... I think I would have been happier if I could have made a taco out of this. Don't get me wrong, the flavors were great, but I was a bit disappointed in the execution. That's all on me. I'm seriously upset about the palm oil also, that's also on me. Wish I didn't have all these dumb allergies, but hey, I am who God created me to be. So more adventures will come as I keep on finding new recipes and substitutions!

Original recipe from Paleo Plan.
LIME-CILANTRO PORK TACOS
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1TBSP oil of choice
2lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into ¼” – ½” strips
¼ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 red onion, diced
¾ cup chicken broth
2-3 medium tomatoes, diced
6 TBSP lime juice
4-6 TBSP cilantro, chopped
1 large head butter lettuce (or as many leaves as you plan on making tacos)
2 avocados, sliced

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Wash and chop onion and tomato.
2. Season both sides of pork with sea salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan.
4. Saute pork until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan and place in bowl.
5. Add onion to hot pan and saute until tender.
6. Add broth and tomatoes, reduce heat to low. Simmer two more minutes, scraping pan sides and bottom to loosen any browned bits.
7. Return pork and juices to pan. Stir in lime juice and simmer until pork is fully cooked.
8. Wrap in butter lettuce and top with fresh cilantro and avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment