Thursday, October 17, 2013

Paleo Turkey Sliders with Avocado Slaw


I came across this recipe over at PaleOMG last week and decided to play with it.  We're not really "Southwest" and "spicy" kind of people when it comes to our food, so I tweaked the recipe a bit.  It was kind of nice to play with a recipe not because I had to but because I wanted to.


For this meal I used a pound of ground turkey, 1/2 of a red onion, some cumin, salt, pepper, and bacon fat.  That was just for the sliders.  I sliced half of that red onion and minced the other half.  I mixed them all together and shaped them into sliders.  This made 13 sliders.


For the avocado slaw I shredded 1 head of cabbage to start.  Well, I didn't shred it, I had my hubby shred it while I was shaping the sliders.  When he was done I used the food processor to blend together 2 avocados, salt, cumin, olive oil, lemon juice, and lime juice.  After that was nice and smooth, I poured it over my shredded cabbage and mixed it all together and used that as a bed for my sliders.


Verdict: This meal was liked by all.  I served it with some baked yams (not sweet potatoes) which are Paleo in moderation.  #2 decided that he loved the yams and ate all of his, which is amazing because I've never gotten him to eat a sweet potato before.  For the avocado slaw I omitted the red pepper and I wish I had left it in to give it a bit more of a kick.  Next time I'll use it.  Oh yes, there will be a next time.

PALEO TURKEY SLIDERS
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb ground turkey
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
¼ red onion, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 TBSP fat (I used bacon fat)
Additional fat for the cooking pan

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Add all your ingredients for your burgers in a large bowl. (Minus fat for the cooking pan.)
2. Shape small burger patties.
3. Heat up a large skillet under medium heat with a bit of fat in it (I used more bacon fat) and add your sliders.  Flip after 3-5 minutes or when you see the sides of your sliders begin to turn a white color (meaning they are cooking through.)
4. Serve on top of Avocado Slaw.  Yum!
PALEO AVOCADO SLAW
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
1 small head of cabbage or bag of cabbage, chopped
2 avocados
1 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp lime juice
½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Shred your cabbage in a food processor or however you want.
2. Clean out your food processor and insert the S blade and add all the ingredients except for the cabbage and pulse until smooth.
3. Pour your avocado “mayo” on the cabbage and mix.
4. Put the cabbage on a plate and top with the Turkey Sliders.

No comments:

Post a Comment